By: Cristina N. Hyde, JD
With a new year ahead of us, Campanella Law Office LLC would like to share a collection of 5 action items every business should have on their calendar this year (and every year). By spending a few hours now, you can potentially save yourself time and money later in the year.
- Set aside time to review your employee handbook. It is important to review your employee handbook annually. This practice not only keeps your business in alignment with new or revised applicable laws, but it is also important for ensuring that the language supports your business’ culture and values as your business changes or grows.
- Schedule your training events. State and federal law mandate a variety of employee training events take place annually. Although training events may vary based on industry and state, consistent planning ensures that you have ample time to fulfill your requirements before the end of the year.
- Decide when the best time is to complete employee evaluations and set aside the time to do so. The proper performance of employee evaluations, which includes the maintenance of an accurate and detailed record, is vital to avoiding headaches in the future. Do not let a cursory or poorly documented review prevent you from properly defending yourself against a claim for wrongful termination or discrimination.
- Review your insurance coverage. Take the time to review your current insurance policies and check the expiration dates. It is best to have your policies periodically reviewed by a professional to ensure that you are both fully covered for whatever possible liability may accompany your industry and that you are not overpaying for coverage.
- Attend to your corporate documents. Corporate documents include your operating agreement, leases, employment agreements, and contractor agreements, among other paperwork relative to your day-to-day operations. It is important to remember that these documents may require revision based on changing laws or a business development.
If you have any questions about or would like any assistance with completing any of the items listed above, please do not hesitate to contact us. We stand ready to help you make 2020 a prosperous year!